“Do you need any help, you know, getting around?” I finish lamely. Great. The only kid in school who doesn't think I'm a freak and I've probably already screwed this up. But Zach thanks me earnestly and replies, “Yeah. You're the first person here to be nice to me. Apparently no one appreciates good music. I tried to tell them about the cultural importance of the Who, but they just laughed.” he sighed. “But I guess all schools are the same. So, uh, can you show me where Mr. Lee's room is? I have History first.” Huh. So did I. But Mr. Lee's AP History class was open to both juniors and seniors, so there's a chance Zach could be a different age than I am. “Yeah, I'm going there now.” All thoughts of going to the bathroom and crying my eyes out in the privacy of a stall are completely forgotten. I jerk my head to the left and we turn, both trying to ignore the snide comments and pointed fingers. Poor Zach thinks they're making fun of his shirt, but he just doesn't realize that I am South High's biggest pariah if there ever was one.
As we walk down the twisting corners of this hell, I casually (I hope) ask Zach, “So are you taking Lee's class for junior or senior year?” He grimaces. “ Junior. Dad wants me to take all the AP classes I can this year, so I can graduate early. He was a hotshot doctor back in the good ole' days, but he doesn't practice anymore. Lost 'inspiration', as he puts it. Basically, he just got lazy, wanted to retire, but didn't remember that he's a single dad with a kid still at home- me. So now he's putting all this crazy pressure on me to 'succeed', like it's my fault we had to move.” Zach's voice loses its easygoing manner as he talks about his dad. Maybe they don't get along well, like my mom and I don't. But the good news is he's in my grade. Once he finds out my secret he'll not want to be my friend anymore, I know that for sure, but it's nice to have a fresh start, if only for a little while.
“Sit down, Miss Trick. Thank you for joining us. I see you didn't feel the need to bring any books.” Mr. Lee glares at me from underneath his Coke-bottle glasses. That's right, I threw my stuff at Tim. With meeting Zach and all, I'd forgotten that. Great. This morning's off to a wonderful start. I get blamed for my best friend's bad luck with girls and my favorite teacher is angry with me. “Mr. Lee, sir, I'm sorry for being late. I was helping Zach around.” Mr. Lee peers at his class list. “Ah, yes, Mr. Barlow. Welcome to South High. Take a seat right there next to Mr. Nelson.” Finally! Someone to fill the empty seat between Parker and me! The sad thing with popular people is that sometimes, they are actually smart! Which means they intrude on certain genius's AP classes and ruin the genius's life! But at least I now have a friend in this class.
After first period the hours seem to crawl by until lunch time. I don't know what on earth I am supposed to do, who I'm supposed so sit with, but I shouldn't have worried. Tim was sitting at our usual table with his eyes closed and his head tipped back, his golden-brown hair spilling over the edge of the chair. When I set my books down (recovered from the guidance office before second period Trigonometry) he looked up. “Clay,” he implored, using my elementary school nickname, “I'm really sorry. I shouldn't have sprung that on you like I did.” Poor, sweet Tim. He deserves so much that sometimes I hate myself from keeping him from it. If know that if he wasn't my friend, he'd have such an easier life.
Huzzah! SEE JEN. SHE LISTENS TO ME!!!
ReplyDeleteSo, we learn more about Zach and they begin to realize that they might be like each other in more way than one. Tim is currently annoying me, but I'll probably get over it...eventually...
Once again, I really do like it. I'm intereste to see where it's going (if going anywhere) and if not, then I'm interested in begging you to write more, regardless. ^^
Bonsoir,
-Alice
Thanks, Alice! Your input really means a lot :) I hate the character of Tim. He's a buggish brat who needs to get over himself, always moping around like it's Clayre's fault he's friends with her. (Which it's not, of course. He's just too lazy to get new friends!)
ReplyDeleteWanker...ah, that makes sense! Even if I felt like Clayre, I wouldn't deal with him. I'd rather be all alone than with HIM.
ReplyDeleteI'm always happy to read and review for a friend. ^^
Wanker<3 hahaha :)
ReplyDeleteAs said with a terrible British accent. *holds chin up high* ^^
ReplyDeleteHahaha :)
ReplyDelete