Sunday, March 27, 2011

Classical Mystery Tour

My mom has forbidden me to talk about The Beatles today. :(

Last night was amazing. As some of you may know, last year, my mom and I went to see the Beatles tribute band Rain, and that was awesome. Last night, however, was amazing. So good, that I had to close my eyes during part of it, because I felt that I was in one of their concerts in the '60s, just another screaming girl, dying to catch a glimpse of her idols. 

Let me just put it this way. The man who played Paul McCartney looked like Paul. He even SOUNDED like Paul. Even my mother, who was only there because it was only $13.50/seat, admitted that she couldn't believe that it wasn't Paul. 

What do you expect people to do at concerts? Scream and sing, right? Right. However, for one grumpy Scrooge, this was not the case. 

Picture this: An old man who hates The Beatles, dragged along to a tribute concert by his wife, who'd probably leave him for Paul or Ringo if she was given the chance. Sitting in front of the world's biggest Beatles fan, who was shrieking and singing at the top of her lungs. AKA yours truly, Gertrude Shirley. 

For those of you who've ever been to a Beatles tribute concert, when the band sings "Hey Jude", they'll break it down into verses. The women and girls will do the "Na, na, na, nananana, nananana, Hey Jude,", then the boys and men, then people under 30, and so on. However, I didn't sing very loud during this song, because, right before that, the Scrooge in front of me, turned around, and offered his hand. I shook it and smiled, but this was NOT the case. "My name's Bob." he grouched. "It was a pleasure having you scream in my ear all night long." My smile dropped from my face quickly, like mud off of a mountainside. I turned to my mom, but it looked like she hadn't heard. So the band started singing, and I stood there, whispering the lyrics to my favorite song. 

And after "Hey Jude", "Paul" started counting down. "4, 3, 2, 1!" And the opening notes to "Twist and Shout" filled the air. Screams came from all around me, and everyone started twisting. Including myself. Because, come on. Who can resist the awesome power of the twist? Mr. Scrooge-Bob could. While his wife, his friends, and the people in the entire auditorium were singing and twisting, he stood there, crossing his arms, and scowling. 

So on a parting note, "Ba-HUMBUG!, Mr. Grouchy-pants!"


He needs to just suck it up and realize that All You Need is Love.

4 comments:

  1. Cool. I had a sort of similar night in that I figured out how to play "Helter Skelter" on the guitar. Fun stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please tell me they played "Can't Buy Me Love" or "I am the Walrus." As you know, those two are my favroites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Groovy, Nai. Remember playing that on Rockband at my house? I was on vocals, and they ended, so I walked away and started laughing at you while you were slaving away with john Lennon?

    And Cami, they played Walrus, but not Can't buy me love. Sorry. They did Yellow Sub though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. DONT READ THIS COMMENT!!!! turn back now!!! While you still can!!! STOPIT!!! NOOOOOOO!!! you are loved by many people but you can't love them back now...I curse you so!!! Hahahahahahahaaaaa!!! I love you if you were persistent enough to read all of this...
    AWWWWWWW YOU READ IT!!!!

    ReplyDelete