Thursday, August 11, 2011

Unnamed beginning of a story

"Auf, auf!" screamed the kapo. Mother poked me in the arm. "Up, Hanneli, up!" she ordered.
I sighed. I had been dreaming of life in the good times--the times before Auschwitz. My sister, Sarah, and I were just about to drink hot cocoa. But it is not wise to linger in dreams-- in wishes. There were days where I remembered Sarah and I felt like giving up. Sweet Sarah, only ten years old and they took her away! Along with baby Josef, and Papa. That was three weeks ago. We haven't seen them since.
Shaking my head to get rid of my sleepiness, Mother and I, along with out four bunkmates, scrambled out of our "bed" to await permission to march--in careful single-file lines-- out to the Appellplatz.
"Dreckigen Schweine, jetzt gehen!" Filthy swine, go now. Ruth, a girl in the bunk next to mine, leaned over and muttered, "She's being nicer than usual today!" Managing a small smile, I turned forward again and marched.

No comments:

Post a Comment